2007.08.14 - Just picked up my copy of Madden 08 for the Nintendo Wii, and I have some sad news. The day I've feared has come at last, EA has finally killed off custom playbooks, at least on Madden Wii. It's a pretty bittersweet day, as I finally get to play online on a Nintendo platform on the same version that my favorite video game feature of all time is cut. I'd like info on other platforms, posting to this new topic in the Forums would be ideal, but you can also email me with info.
Aside from custom playbooks, my first impressions of Madden Wii are not that great. Defensive coverage seems to have reverted to Madden 2002/2003 ability. My first game I played as the Packers against the Lions on Pro (mainly because the Wii controls are new to me, since I didn't get Madden 07 on the Wii). I won 50-28, returning two consecutive kickoffs for TDs, scoring two TDs on long HB dive plays where I had the ball covered up instead of sprinting, and gave up at least three deep TD passes while playing coverages with either 3 or 4 DBs in deep zone coverage. I can't say if this type of play holds for the other next gen platforms, but I can't imagine they'd be too different. Why oh why can't EA bring back the balance they achieved with Madden 2004?
At this point I'm not really sure what the future holds for the Monstrous Madden Playbook. I won't be taking anything away from the site, but I don't plan on developing plays on Madden 2006 for Gamecube forever. I've toyed with the idea of developing my own open source football video game (I'm professional video game developer) with really customizable playbooks, instead of sitting at EA's mercy each year.
2007.08.05 - One more update to complete the addition of my entire back catalog of plays into the MMP Unlocked. There's one play each from I Form-Twin Flex, Jumbo Wing, Scimitar, and Wyvern. None of these plays are world beaters (except maybe Flex Power), which is why they weren't added earlier, but at least they provide a bit of variety and maybe some fresh ideas.
For the imminent Madden 08 season I have some big plans for the site. With so many plays to choose from it can be difficult to know which formations and plays are the best to use, because not everything can fit in one playbook. I've been working on scoring each of my offensive plays, including everything in the MMP Unlocked, and creating totals for each formation to help you get optimal performance out of your own Monstrous Playbooks In additional, while I haven't released any new formations since the days of Madden 2005, much of this has been due to the fact that I wanted to concentrate on quality over quantity. I actually have four offensive and three defensive formations which I've been developing over the past few years, and I'll be unveiling at least a few of the best this season.
Believe it or not, this wraps up the defensive portion of the MMP Unlocked (and only a year and a half after I started the project). I should get the remaining two or three offensive plays in before the release of Madden 08 on August 14th, with the Wii version being the first to support online play on a Nintendo platform.
2007.06.09 - Three new MMP Unlocked plays for the Golden Dollar pass defense. Includes a tight man coverage, a pure zone, and even a play with some actual pass rushers to keep opposing offenses guessing.
2007.06.07 - Here's a belated update to the downloadable playbooks for Madden 07 PC, again from Ashley. There's an update to the previous offense, as well as my complete defense. Again, I haven't tested these so let me know if there are any problems.
2007.03.18 - For the first time, here's a downloadable playbook for Madden 07 PC, provided by Ashley from Australia. This playbook contains plays from Delta, Wyvern, Nebula, I-Form-Twin Flex, 4 Wide, Spades, U Bacon, Wishbone-Big, and T-Bone-Jumbo. I haven't tested it myself because I don't have Madden for PC, but many of you have been requesting downloadable playbooks for years, so here's the first. Anyone else who wants to provide playbook files (for plays available on this site only please) email it to me and I'll provide it for download.
2007.01.14 - I figured it was time for at least a small update to break my long hiatus from delivering new content (playing The Legend of Zelda on my Nintendo Wii has seriously cut into my Madden time). MMP Unlocked has three new unnamed plays from the venerable Bomber formation.
2006.11.12 - Five new plays this NFL Sunday from my second favorite defense, Edge Nickel, in the MMP Unlocked. I actually have a couple more plays from this formation which I need to put on paper before releasing them, but with these additions I think that the MMP provides a very complete and effective defense for any Madden gamer.
2006.10.22 - Small update to the MMP Unlocked, plays coming from U Bacon. Aside from a few new plays that I've created since starting the MMP Unlocked, as well as some unreleased formations, this is it for unlocking my offensive playbook.
On another note, I'd like to remind readers that the Guest Playbook is still around and I'd love to see some candidate plays submitted in the Forums so that a few new entries can be added this season.
Welcome to the Monstrous Madden Playbook! The site layout is designed to allow you to focus in on particular types of plays. Instead of just the standard offense and defense categories, offense has further been broken down into balanced, power and speed categories. Defensive formations may be similarly categorized in the future when more formations are available, but for now all of the formations are grouped together. Image based indexes have been added to both the offensive and defensive playbooks to make looking up individual play pages as easy as possible.
Have any questions about The Monstrous Madden Playbook or playbook creation in general? Before asking in the forums or sending me an email check out the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) page. It answers the most commonly asked questions seen in the forums or my inbox. Other helpful resources include the Monstrous Madden Playbook Guide and the all-important New Formation Creation Guide. Learn about other great Madden sites on my links page.
Sound good? Well that's not all. The Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums are the place to discuss the latest in playbook development. If you're looking to pad out your custom offensive formations, The Monstrous Madden Playbook: Offense Volume I is now available for free in PDF format on the Madden Books page. This is the only place to get my complete set of plays from my original ten offensive formations, still as effective as ever.
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from I Form-Twin Flex (Flex Power), Jumbo Wing (Pull Delay), Scimitar (Spirit Screen), and Wyvern (Unnamed #1) (2007.08.05)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from Edge Nickel (Cover 3 Rain, Sky Assault), Speed Quarter (Dark Sky), and Strike Nickel (Man Under, Swarm Blitz) (2007.08.04)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from J Form-Normal (J Slam, J Toss, Valor, WCO Slants) (2007.07.18)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from Golden Dollar (2 Man Under Spy, Max Cover, Ultrazone) (2007.06.09)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from Bomber (Unnamed #1, Unnamed #2, Unnamed #3) (2007.01.14)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from Edge Nickel (3 Deep Wide, Cover 2 Edge, Storm Cloud, Wide Zone Blitz, Zone Edge) (2006.11.12)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from U Bacon (Avalanche Toss, Bacon Dive, Half Trap, Power O Classic, Warhammer) (2006.10.22)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from 5-2 Punisher (Mid Surge, Slant Left Man), 4-3 Barricade (Gut Buster), and Peregrine 3-4 (Bird Hunter, Coriolis, Man Over Flats, Strong Slant) (2006.10.14)
- Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked: added plays from Quick Split (Buzz, Circle Slants, Digger, Fracture Ver 1, Fracture Ver 2, Jackknife, Pro QB Option, Smoke Screen, Speed Delay, Speed Trap, Split Pitch, Surf Sweep) (2006.10.11)
- 5-2 Punisher (2005.01.04)
- Peregrine 3-4 (2004.12.20)
- Golden Dollar (2004.10.30)
- I Form-Twin Flex (2004.09.26)
Newest Guest Playbook Additions
- Jumbo Split (HB Option Screen) (2005.02.05)
- Single Wing (HB Sweep) (2005.01.13)
- Kansas I (Swap Sweep and Bait) (2005.01.13)
- Offense #1 for Madden 07 PC updated and Complete MMP Defense for Madden 07 PC made available for download (2007.06.07)
- Offense #1 for Madden 07 PC made available for download (2007.03.18)
- Created Monstrous Madden Playbook Unlocked, a section of the site where plays that haven't been written up are released as specifications without diagrams or description (2006.01.28)
- Finished incomplete writeup for Jumbo Wing - Inside Pitch (2005.10.15)
- Updated the FAQs (2005.08.25)
- Released The Monstrous Madden Playbook: Offense Volume I for free download (2005.07.01)
These are the ultimate offensive and defensive formations and plays from my personal playbook. Since the Create-a-Playbook feature was introduced in Madden NFL 2003 I've created over two full (11 formations, 81 plays each) offensive playbooks and one fairly complete defensive playbook. More new plays are currently being developed for Madden NFL 2006. In my experience these plays can be more effective than almost anything in the traditional Madden playbooks, against both human opponents and the CPU.
If you're new to this site, it is recommended that you glance at the Monstrous Madden Playbook Guide, which explains how formations and play charts are formatted. New visitors and veterans alike might appreciate the New Formation Creation Guide, which explains in detail the steps needed to get the most out of custom formations.
I'm always on the lookout for new innovations in offensive and defensive strategy, so if you find flaws in plays presented here, or have new ideas you want to share, contact me.
Contact Arkaein with any comments or questions regarding the Monstrous Madden Playbook.