Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delta formation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runNshoot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Delta formation Reply with quote

That "Delta formation" looks a lot like your basic run an shoot formation.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Delta formation Reply with quote

There are a lot of possible football formations that are quite similar to each other. If anything though, my 4 Wide formation in my 2003 playbook is probably close to the base run 'n shoot, with the receivers spread out far. Delta has two tight ends and the receivers are not even split out to maximum width, so it's really not that close to a traditional run 'n shoot formation.

Incidentally, I originally had Delta drawn up to look a bit more original. The TEs were initially lines up directly behind the tackles, with the thought that they could serve as lead blockers for off tackle runs to either side. This didn't work out as well as I had hoped, and I moved the TE's out a step to make for better use in the passing game. The WRs may also have been a step closer to the inside, initially. Now the main defining factor of Delta is its compactness, with both the TEs and WRs lining up fairly close to the inside.
runNshoot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything I've studied....the 'Delta' seems like your basic 'run and shoot'(ala Mouse Davis) formation minus the Te's. I use 2 Te's in some of my 'shoot' formations as well...they line up a step behind the tackles. Although Joe Gibbs( x-Redskins coach) use to go with a lotta 2 Te single-back formations as well. I guess my point is( without getting into a argument)......there aren't to many things that haven't been thought of in terms of "O" play formation. I mean it's no shame in taking ideas from other sources whether it be in Madden or in real-life football.

Heck, the other night I figured out how to enhance the yards/per carry for my back outta the run and shoot. Which reminds me.....in describing your "delta/run&shoot" formation.....I think you said that one shouldn't expect a lotta yardage from the backs.

"Cons:
Will not break many long gains No backfield lead blocker means a strong, quick defensive rush up the middle may not be blocked".

Well.... when properly used the "shoot" has historically always had a 1000 yard+++ Hb. One can
run counters,sprint runs and off-tackle delays....that should net one big gains. Just the other night my back sprinted left off-tackle and had a 50++ yard scamper for a TD. The thing you wanna
remember about 'the shoot' is once the back get past the line of scrimmage.....there's a ton of open space in which to run. So with a few moves here and there a back can easily break a huge run.
andyh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Running in the Run-n-Shoot Reply with quote

My success has varied (could just be me, though) -- I think the big rushing yardage comes when you actually have the talent in your backfield and in your line to get a big initial surge. As I recall, the original run-n-shoot (speaking of that, has anyone tried the "Lonesome Polecat" formation espoused in that book?) was devised as a way to compensate for not having that kind of talent.

So I've been able to break big runs with your Ricky Williams-type back, but not with "Joe Halfback #3" (and especially not "Bob Fullback #2") from plays in formations such as the Delta or the 4 Wide. Very Happy
runNshoot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As I recall, the original run-n-shoot (speaking of that, has anyone tried the "Lonesome Polecat" formation espoused in that book?) "

I've seen that formation.....however, given the 'grid' in madden I don't think ya' can re-create the formation. The thing about running from 'the shoot' is ....you have to set up
the "D" for a run. Generally what I do is go wide-side with a few passes to loosen up the "D".....then I go to the run. Another thing you might do is catch the "D" cheating to
one side of the field...and audible a run to opposite side( when this happens don't be suprised to see a huge gain.)

The beauty of 'the shoot" is you can be effective with medicore players( i.e. your average "Joe Halfback"). But you have to do a good job of reading/reacting to what the "D" is doing.
No doubt if you have superior players 'the shoot' works even better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: