Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chess Offense and Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Guest Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pimpdaddypat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Chess Offense and Defense Reply with quote

I have been slowly working on a new offense and defense for a while now. The idea behind it is all the players on the field have assigned routes, or coverages, based on chess pieces and moves. Let me explain:

On Offense:
Pawns (P) = Linemen
King (K) = Quarterback
Queen (Q) = Runningback
Rooks (R), Bishops (B), and Knights (N) = Wide Receivers / Tightends

I think with this in mind, it's best to stick to single-back formations. Though there are many possible offensive formations, an example of one formation would be:

..B.................................P...P...P...P...P..................................R...
..................B.......................... K.........................N......................
...................................................................................................
...................................................................................................
............................................... Q................................................

On Defense:
Pawns (P) = Linemen
Knights (N) = Linebackers
Bishops (B) = Flat players (Speedy Outside Linebackers)
Rooks (R) = Cornerbacks
Queen = Free-safety

The base defense I run with these assigned positions, could either be called a 4-2 or a 4-4. I like to call it a 4-2. Here is what it looks like:

...R....................................................................R........
......................................Q............................................
.....................................................................................
....................................N.....N........................................
................B............................................B.....................
...........................P......P......P......P................................

On both offense and defense, with the players imitating the chess pieces they represent, then the number of possible plays becomes apparent, and the practicality and efficiency of the offense and defense become available, if it is run right.

Considering, the routes the certain chess pieces move act out in a chess game, route trees or zone coverages / blitzes can be made for offensive or defensive skill players (Runningback, Wide Receivers, Linebackers, Flat players, Cornerbacks, and Free-safety).

Putting together different combinations of pieces and routes can create a vast number of plays, that I believe can be effective.

I have a paint document of the offensive / defensive route / coverage trees. If anyone wants, this leave your email. Also, let me know what you think of this offense and defense. I have created formations and plays, but there are so many possible ones in this chess scheme that I haven't figured out all the ones I like yet, so I haven't made a full playbook yet. Hopefully that will come soon though.

Thank you,
Patrick

[/img]
Arkaein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I kind of like the idea of themed plays and formations (as you can probably tell by the way I name and describe my creations), but I'm not sure really what you hope to accomplish with taking the idea this far.

The idea of a passing is nice for running routes because it both summarizes the important routes for an offense by position and provides a mechanism for efficient play naming through numbered routes (e.g., I Right 285 Swing could describe a complete passing play). However your idea sounds like the routes and other actions would actually be chosen to mimic those of chess pieces, which are fairly arbitrary.

I will say your choices sound pretty good. A QB moves in any direction but slowly, lineman primarily push forward or at angles, and between Rooks, Bishops and Knights you have straight line routes in every direction plus routes that might be quick outs, drags, hooks, or square outs. This would assume that one position could switch between these three pieces between different plays, otherwise it becomes quite limited.

That's my major criticism, by imitating chess pieces it seems like you are placing artificial limitations on the actions for each position. This lends itself to simple terminology, but other than that I only see disadvantages. I'm not saying that good plays couldn't be created in this system, but that it might prevent good plays from being made because they don't fit within the boundaries you've constructed.
Abbo55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever, I must admit. I can see what the players have with the chess pieces. Clever idea.
pimpdaddypat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand exactly what you are saying Ark. I have pondered this myself in the creation of this scheme. But, you have all your basic routes, you have the outs, the ins, the slants, the go routes, the curl in all directions, and you can even run something like a quick post, somewhat like you're 45 degree angled slants. I think most of the pass routes are integrated, just by using the chess moves. I do think you are slightly limited, but I don't think you are too limited. I think it creates a consistent system, which if it is run right, creates a consitent and efficient offense or defense. When creating this scheme, I never forgot that this IS football and NOT chess, so I tried to use the chess ideas, but not so much that it took away from the ability to create quality football.
Phate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimpdaddypat wrote:
I understand exactly what you are saying Ark. I have pondered this myself in the creation of this scheme. But, you have all your basic routes, you have the outs, the ins, the slants, the go routes, the curl in all directions, and you can even run something like a quick post, somewhat like you're 45 degree angled slants. I think most of the pass routes are integrated, just by using the chess moves. I do think you are slightly limited, but I don't think you are too limited. I think it creates a consistent system, which if it is run right, creates a consitent and efficient offense or defense. When creating this scheme, I never forgot that this IS football and NOT chess, so I tried to use the chess ideas, but not so much that it took away from the ability to create quality football.

Just looking at this concept for a few seconds gives me ideas that you could use for different types of motions. For example, if you were running a type of fly offense (spread t, total misdirection), you could use the different ways certain pieces can move as motion types, like "CastLe" motion could be a motion parallel to the line of scrimmiage to the left, while "Rook" motion could be motion parallel to the line of scrimmiage to the right.

Or maybe if you were in a 2 or 3-back set, "Knight" motion could be motion perpendicular and then parallel to the line of scrimmiage.

Interesting. Send me your playbook please, bigheinousanus@hotmail.com
pimpdaddypat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good ideas ... i like them ... i definately use motion alot with the receivers in this scheme ... i also like to bring the queen (or running back) out from the single back postion and motion him to a reciever to creat a 5 reciever offense and run combo routes .... but i really like your package ideas ... i dont have a playbook yet, but hopefully one day i will find the time to figure out all my favorite formations and plays in this scheme and make a playbook ... there are alot of single-back formations to choose from first, and then all the plays from those different formations ... so it will take some time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Guest Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: