Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defensive Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chimera

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Defensive Pressure Reply with quote

I am unable to break through to the QB!!! if i overload the outside and somebody comes free then the back shifts over and stops him. if i overload the middle and somebody comes free then the back steps up and stops him. what do i have to do, overload the middle and the outside so the back can't block them both? i wont have anything left to cover with. . .
even using the peregrine system for locking up the Wides for an extra second doesn't allow me the time to break through, the o-line is like a brick wall. any suggestions would help a very frazzled madden fan!
Arkaein

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimera, I'm guessing that your the guy who emailed me a few days ago (if not you have the same problem). You've obviously tried to a lot of different ways to attack the QB with your defense. I'm wondering though if maybe you're putting to much emphasis one this one aspect of your game.

Causing a lot of sacks is great for a defense, but it's only one part of defense. A team that generates 64 sacks per game in real life will probably lead the league, but that's only 4 sacks per game, one sack per quarter. Even these high pressure defenses have to accept the fact that on most passing downs they won't touch the QB.

There are also a lot of different ways that sacks are caused. The obvious ways are to bring extra pressure using blitzers, but if you do this down after down then your opponent will adapt by increasing the protection. Increased protection against a heavy pass rush is usually an advantage for the offense because the WRs have the same amount of time to run their routes, but a lot more open space to work with. Sometimes a god counter for max protect is to drop 7 or 8 into coverage. The QB might not have any openings to throw into and you could get a coverage sack.

To conclude, sacks alone don't make a good defense. Concentrate on playing good overall defense by balancing QB pressure, coverage, and run stopping. Use variation in your techniques to try and generate pressure, but not to the exclusion of stronger parts of your game, and don't get trapped into thinking that you need sacks to win.
Chimera

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ark, yeah it's me again. i think what you say makes a lot of sense, i never really looked at it like that before. my background was chess so when i moved over to madden the line of scrimmage most resembled pawn structures in chess so i thought i could manipulate it in the same way. not the case so far. . .
the assignment codes on defense are terrible but i'll keep trying for a bit. not really interested in winning any particular games, i'm just facinated by defensive theory. on the off chance that i find anything good, i'll post it to the boards for dissection.
skee420

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Linebacker control Reply with quote

A small tip but a tip nonetheless; I like to take manual control of a linebacker sometimes and cover a short zone and while doing so keeping an eye open for avenues to the QB. Sort of like a more active spy, or a delayed blitz. Most LBs can't catch so I mostly look for avenues in and either commit to rush when I see one or try to stay in position to deflect.

There is also brute force method by just overpowering one man on the line to break through. To accomplish this I recommend not button-mashing your star lineman but rather scouting to find the weakest point on the opponent's line. If you see a lousy lineman, target him. Crash a DE into him and send a linebacker to bust through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: