Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superbowl XL Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  

And the winner will be...
Pittsburgh
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Seattle
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Arkaein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Superbowl XL Discussion Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is the place if you want to discuss Superbowl XL (before, during, or after the game). Though my team (the Packers) didn't get anywhere close to it this year, I'm really looking forward to a good game. Seattle and Pittsburgh play very different styles, but are pretty evenly matched overall. The contrast in styles should create interesting matchups, and so coaching decisions will play a very important role.

My pick: Seattle 27, Pittsburgh 23. It should be close though, so I won't be surprised if the game goes either way.
Abbo55

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pittsburgh will win 17-10. I don't think the offenses will really ever get anything going.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, andyone interested in some really good analysis, check out Football Outsiders. They've got the best pro football analysis on the planet, and it's because of their analysis that I believe that Seattle has a slight edge despite the Steelers being favored by 4 or 4.5 in Vegas.

In any case, their analysis is really good, and should give you some great ideas for matchups and strategies to watch out for in the game.
Abbo55

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the preview, and I'm sure I'll be reading alot more off of that site.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after Seattle's first drive after the Parker TD run I vote for Jeramy Stevens for goat of the game. Two dropped long passes in Steelers territory has likely cost the Seahawks at least 3 points (I thin Seattle scored a FG after the first drop), and possibly quite a bit more.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just minutes later, Stevens redeems himself when it really counts. It's lookin' like a game again!
Arkaein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is turning into the worst reffed Superbowl I've ever seen. It's not that there are a huge number of bad calls, but that so many questionable to moderately bad calls that completely favor one team:

Push offs: Darrel Jackson called for Off Pass Interference in the end zone to negate a TD, Hines Ward a bit of a push on a Seattle blitz a drive or two later to convert a key 3rd down.

Holding: hold on Seattle's RT takes the ball away from 1st and goal at the 1. Instead Hasselbeck gets picked a few plays later and gets called for a ridiculous block below the waist AS HE MAKES THE TACKLE on the return. Next drive, Hines Ward grabs a bit of Jersy to hold back a player on the 3rd down Roethlisberger QB draw to convert a 3rd down right before the Randel El to Ward TD pass. It wouldn't have affected the outcome of the play, but it was there and was as much of a hold as the Seattle play.

Down by contact: Hasselbeck's scramble. They got this one back on replay, but it was a bad call made on the field.

Delay of game. Pitt gets a TO on their next drive just AFTER the play clock hits zero. Close, and this call does usually go in the offense's favor, but I still think it was a bad call.

Now maybe I missed something, but has Pitt had any call like this go against them this game, or even a bad non-call hurt them? Chime in guys.
Abbo55

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. This was one of the worst reffed Super Bowls I've ever seen. I didn't think that Darell Jackson TD was Offensive interference, but I could see where they were coming from. In regard to the Hasselbeck "block" That was bad. You can't be flagged for tackling somebody below the waist.
skee420

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visually missed the holding call. I did hear Madden at one point delcaring they were calling a hold that wasn't there on Seattle.. probably the same play.

The Hassleback block thing was weird. I saw a similiar play this season where that penalty was used. He did take a guy out, but he was making a tackle. Isn't it a penalty for blocking on a return? Why would Hassleback attempt a block after throwing an INT?
Or is it a penalty for hitting a potentional blocker for the returner? Why would anyone attack a blocker instead of the returner unless you're trying to hurtle the blocker right into the runner... Either way, I don't see a 15yd infraction. You can't challenge a penalty (right?) but they should have picked up the flag during the break unless the rule really was broken. I mean, can't they confer with someone "in the booth" or something to clarify the rule?

My take on the Darrel Jackson end zone penalty is that receivers are doing that all the time.. sometimes you get called and sometimes you don't. The rule is that there can be no contact. You have some contact directly in front of the ref assigned to that infraction. I think thats the key point. The ref was right there and it is what he is assigned to be looking for.

Overall, I'd say Seattle definitely got the worst of the calls. However, to sound like a coach for a minute, you want to play the game well enough so that referees CANNOT be a factor. Hence Pittsburgh/Indy and the Polamalu non-interception. Steelers had to just take the bad call and still win.

There was also the Rothlesbeger (I murdered that I know.. and he won!) TD. Personally, I feel it didn't matter either way because if they were short it would have been fourth and literally an inch or two. QB sneak is a sure thing - but would Cowher go for it? Maybe not.. but he didn't have to.

So for me.. the Hassleback block penalty was not acceptable and I missed the hold on Seattle but form the sound of things it was unwarranted. Still, Seattle did not end either half particularly well. Anyone who runs 2 minute drills in the Madden games had to cringe at some of the decisions with the run, passes to the interior of the field, and time taken at the line. And as was posted, Jerramy Stevens dropped some big catches. Yes, he scored eventually, but they needed more. If they had capitalized and scored more than 21 points, the calls would not have affected them.

I bet All Star must have loved the Randle El TD throw, unless he was pulling for Seattle. Also earlier in the season the Randle El reverse, throw across the backfield to Ben who threw a TD.

Good game, but I do wish there weren't so many questionable points to discuss.
skee420

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: punt return right/left Reply with quote

I got a kick out of Madden literally saying "you have to Return Right or Return Left" (same as the play names in the game) "and set up a wall."

Funny because in the game you have to choose Return Right or Return Left if you want any blocking. Nobody even blocks on Return Middle. Although there is a Punt Return play posted unofficially in the Guest Area, but I've never tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: