Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TE Reverse Throwback Screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Guest Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Think This is a Good Play?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: TE Reverse Throwback Screen Reply with quote

BTW Ark, this is a serious GPS Submission, I hope you have room for another trick play Wink

To Create The Formation (J-Form - Twin TE)

1) First and foremost you must add the "WR Reverse Pass" Play from the "Singelback - Normal" Formation. I have confirmed this play is in Madden 04, 05, and 06, in the Philadelphia PB. (Chicago in 05, and in 06 Cincinnati also)
Note: Add any other plays you want here, b/c you cannot go back to get more after you edit the formation.

2) Edit it to look like the formation below like this:
~ moving the slot reciever (WR3) to TE (The one on the LOS)
~ Leaving WR1 where he is
~ moving the HB to FB
~ WR2 to TE (farthest away from center)
~ And Finally the Original TE to HB1.

Follow the below Diagram:
Code:

.......EOOOOO.......W
......E...Q..........
............F........
.........H...........

E = TE
W = WR
H = HB
F = FB
Q = QB

TE makes no real difference which is which, just make the better run blocker the one on the LOS, and the more athletic one the one off the LOS.

The Play
Pretty Simple to make.....

NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THE QB, HB, and the TE (who receives the reverse). Leave their routes alone, once edited, you have to start over!!!!

HB1 - 4W, end curl RT
QB - DO NOT CHANGE
FB - DO NOT CHANGE
WR1 - No big deal here, just keep him away from the left side of the feild, I just left his route alone.
TE - Leave the one recieving the Reverse alone, the one on the LOS make him Screen Block Left
LT, LG - Screen Block Left
C, RG, RT - Leave the way they are.

Running the Play

Snap the ball and let the Reverse unfold, run around to the right with the TE and cut into the open field if there is space (Do not hit the sprint button until you pass the LOS or it will go into passing mode) If there are defenders in the area, use the QB as a lead blocker and to protect you (If he can keep up) and when the D commits to going after you throw it back accross the field to your HB who will have blockers ahead of him for hopefully a big gain.

Pros
~ Very fun play to run.
~ Not that risky ( When i tested this out on All-Pro against the Ravens I only turned it over once when a defender jumped through the line and intercepted it, otherwise the HB was wide open 99% of the time)
~ Valuable near the Goalline, force the defense to bte on the run and if they do, toss it back to the RB, if they don't bite on the run it is an easy TD.
~ Big play potential, if the blockers get their men, no one will be in a position to tackle you.
~ Unlike my last play I made, the QB will block for you instead of stand there, and so will the FB, who will seal off the back door after he hands it off.

Cons
~ As with all passes thrown by a non-QB it will not be that accurate .
~ If the HB drops the pass thrown backwards it could result in a fumble, but throw it earlier to avoid this.
~ Because of the TE's low throwing power, most often it will be a lob, which will give the D plenty of time to react.[/b]

So what do you guys think of this, eh?
Arkaein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nifty little play All Star. I did quite a bit of my own tweaking to it though before trying it out in practice mode, so let me know what you think.

First of all, I wasn't entirely happy with the timing of the catch, or the fact that the HB sometimes runs backwards or inside while making the catch. Mainly I thought he did not setup his blockers very well. I tried a few different routes (especially using 1 or 2 second delay points) before coming back to your curl.

A bigger change was to make the inside TE run a 5 yard out. This draws the outside coverage deeper and spreads out the blockers much better in my opinion.

Other changes were to move both the outside TE and FB out one square each. This gives the play more time to develop and suck defenders in. It makes a sack a bit more likely but not much. It also helps the WR route develop which I've modified. I found that N7-S2E1 (a deep outside comeback route) works nicely. Throw early and you can get a big gain deep ,otherwise the WR can take his coverage deep, then come back to fight for the ball.

Splitting the FB out wide does screw up the TE end around play that can be added from the original formation, but this probably isn't a big loss. Let me know what you think of these adjustments.
All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By tight end around do you mean a different play, or the reverse?

I want to try out a few things as well too, by bringing the right WR and split him out left to draw coverage away, and change the TE on the LOS to the right side, and move the one recieving the reverse split one more block out left next to the WR to form a kind of "bunch formation"

And one more thing, what do you mean by the FB moved out screws up the end around? What happens? I haven't tried it.

Also, do you mean a 5yd out for the inside TE? Wouldn't that bring the defenders more to the screen? I would think a short drag route would work better if you do that.

I'll try out my ideas and get back to you. When I did test this play, it worked quite well, my only problem was the hang time of the ball on the long throw accross the field gave the defenders time to react and swarm to the ball.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Star wrote:
By tight end around do you mean a different play, or the reverse?
And one more thing, what do you mean by the FB moved out screws up the end around? What happens? I haven't tried it.

I meant a different play from the original formation, I think called Flanker Reverse, which gets screwed up. Not your play.

All Star wrote:
Also, do you mean a 5yd out for the inside TE? Wouldn't that bring the defenders more to the screen? I would think a short drag route would work better if you do that.

Yep, I meant a 5 yard out. In my experience it doesn't really draw more defenders, as much as draw the farthest outside defender deeper. Without this route I had a lot of CBs run right around the screen blockers. Thios route lets the TE take on the CB and the screen blockers handle the LBs and safeties.

All Star wrote:
I'll try out my ideas and get back to you. When I did test this play, it worked quite well, my only problem was the hang time of the ball on the long throw accross the field gave the defenders time to react and swarm to the ball.

Do you mean the screen pass here? I found that timing is important, and that letting the TE hold onto the ball for about 1 second worked well to draw the defenders. I had the most success not even touching the control stick until I wanted to setup my throw.
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ark, I tried it out again, and changed it a wee bit. The SE I moved to TE, so now there are three TEs, had him do a route like the one you described. The Left 4 on the line (TE to Center) I had them all screen block left. Every thing else is the same (I wouldnt move the TE, the FB you can move if you like, but I would keep him there to set up possible future plays in the formation.

It works ALOT better if you throw the ball early, the D will be in your face so just scramble and get the throw off, I was very succesful with my set up. For some reason when you wait to throw it the screen blocking falls apart, and then the HB cuts upfield which is not good.
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I guess you were typing that as I was.

The out route I see what you are saying, I probly should have tried that.

I dont have Madden 06, so I dont really know which reverse ur talking about here, not really important.

Yea I was talking about when I was throwing the ball on the screen, I think.

So overall what do you think of this play?
Arkaein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over all I think this is a good play. I don't know when I'll get to try all the versions of it, and it may be that my modifications just work better on '06 while yours work better on '05.

I think I prefer having a WR split outside, it makes the reverse more believable (maybe this is why you need to get rid of the ball quickly?) and would allow for better pass plays in the formation.

I'll might consider it for the GPS, though one thing that makes me a bit hesitant is that I already have a throwback screen in the GPS, and I see that you're the one that submitted it. I think if your're going to get two separate GPS submissions they should have a little more variation.

Do you have any more good plays for the Jumbo Split? That would be any easier addition for me and would make the formation more useful to other readers by having multiple plays in it.
All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it with WRs on the outside and see how it goes, I understand if you don't take it though.

I'll try some plays for the Jumbo Split and see if I can come up with anything, as well as the Power I.
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played 07 and made this play even better than the other play that got accpeted, on 07 the reverses work alot better.

Go to Philly's playbook and take their Reverse pass and flanker reverse out of Singleback - Normal.

Now modify it to look like this:

Code:

......W..OOOOOT.......
...........Q..........
......W...............
.........H...F........

I'm pretty sure that's how it was, I'll double check when I go back down.

This is how you edit it:

WR2 -> Bottom WR
WR3 -> Top WR
TE -> TE
HB -> FB (You can make him a second RB if you like)
WR1 -> RB

For the pass:

LT, LG, C: Screen Left
RG, RT, TE: Run Block
DO NOT TOUCH THE FB OR WR RECIEVING THE REVERSE
Top WR: Some crossing route over the middle (I go N2, 45 Cut Rt, N2-E3, and go as far right and up one)
RB: S2-W2, W2-N2, End Curl Right

If you created it right when the WR gets the ball the icons should pop up automatically, wait a second and toss it back to the RB who will have 3 Offensive lineman leading the way.

Now for the reverse (I actually gained 25 yards on it Surprised)

Just leave the play the way it is, edit the RB to Block Off Left (I think, just assign some blocking assignment to the left to keep him out of the way)

Run the play and follow the QB till he gets a block and then take off down the sideline.

Tell me what you think, I played on all-pro and gained consistant 10+ yards on the screen(the only time it gets blown up is when the defense is in man and the LT misses the block, happened only once to me though, normally the LT just pancakes him), the reverse is a little more erratic but I got it to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Guest Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: