Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lol this is awesum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stealthjmac6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: lol this is awesum Reply with quote

lol i like ur site... what did u use to draw ur plays and put them on the site cuz id like to make somthin like this too Very Happy
Arkaein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Creating images for the site Reply with quote

All the images on this site are generated by custom software I wrote.

I have a few simple text file formats that I use to enter formations and plays. I run my program with the formation and play combination I want and it generates the image and displays it on the screen. At the same time it writes it out to a file in PPM format (I used PPM because I have code from a Computer Graphics class I took that writes to this simple format).

Then I use The GIMP, a free image editing application, to crop and resize the images and convert them to PNG format. PNG format is really the key to the low bandwidth the main part of my site uses, because it's more efficient than GIF for this type of image.

As far as sharing the program, I wouldn't mind doing it but there are a few issues:

1) I don't run Windows, so you would need the proper software development tools (basically a C/C++ compiler) to convert the source code into a runnable program.

2) It's not finished. Most of it is complete, but each type of built in block and route has prts that must be coded individually, and so I only do each type as I need to for the latest plays I've developed. For example, if none of my plays use Lead Outside Right from a left backfield position, then the software won't correctly draw that block in a play.

Basically, I don't mind sharing my software but it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

Arkaein
stealthjmac6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

ye definately sounds like a hassle
Phate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good program to me, let me know when you finish it, I'd be happy to take a copy.

You don't happen to run Mac OS do you? Cool
Arkaein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Actually I run Linux. So you'd have to be able to use basic software development tools to make yourself a copy of the app.

Also, there really is not set time for completion. My code prints a warning if I include a run type that is not completely defined, so I know to add the necessary code, rebuild the program, and rerun it. There are probably several combinations of run steps and run directions that will NEVER be tested, because I won't make those plays to add to my site.

If you're interested, I can give you the code, and you can probably fill in a lot of the gaps by looking at what is already there, but you'll basically be on your own for handling any bugs or incorrect data.
Phate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Cool

Will it be able to work with my wishbone and broken wishbone formations, or will I need to add coding for that?
Arkaein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: new code Reply with quote

New formations should never need new code, unless you want to add a position that I don't have, such as a 3rd HB or FB. The code changes would be fairly trivial in these cases.

Some running plays may require fairly simple code updates. Like I said, these just cover run types (ex. a sweep right off tackle) or certain combinations of blocks and starting positions (ex. block far left from the right backfield). This basically comes down to plugging in the right numbers, and in many cases you can figure out the numbers by looking at other code (the example block I just gave should be the exact opposite of a block far right from the left backfield). I actually have all of the numbers figured out on paper, I just haven't put them in the code because I don't want to write code that I don't have plays to test it with.

So if you still want the code, you may have to guess at a few things, but it shouldn't be too hard. If nothing else, try values that make sense and look at the results! If the play diagram looks wrong then there is probably something wrong with the values. My values only estimates anyway, though pretty good ones, so if the diagram looks good than it IS good.
Phate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

So how do I get it?
Arkaein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Gettin the code Reply with quote

Either post your e-mail address or send me an e-mail to reply to, and I'll send a gzipped tar file containing the code files and a few sample formations and plays. The rest will mostly be up to you, though I'll provide limited advice if needed.
Phate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmk

TMunsy2050@aol.com

Call the subject "Football Play Program"
cowboys3204

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: [size=24][color=red]I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color][/siz Reply with quote

Offer it as a free download for members only. i would so be there.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboys3204, I'll give the code to anyone who wants it, but for most people who aren't computer programmers (and even some people who are) it would be a big hassle to setup and use. That's the only reason I don't offer for download right on my website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: