Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost no rushing yards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> General Strategy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Almost no rushing yards Reply with quote

I'm playing in franchise mode with draft on and have played the first six games of the first season. I've noticed that the rushing yards both on offense and allowed by my defense is incredibly low compared to the other teams. OTOH my offensive passing yards is incredibly high.
Why is that?

I really want to have a rush based offense, but my HB (William Green) hasn't been able to break free even once in ten games (that includes the four pre-season games).

Some specifics:
- Playing on Pro difficulty (never played this kind of game before)
- Playing in Coach mode
- I've used Rush Heavy, Rush Balanced and Pass Balanced offensive playbooks and the 4-3 and Cover 2 defensive playbooks.
- 5 minute quarters

These are my starters (and beginning OVR):
QB Aaron Brooks - 86
HB William Green - 86
FB James Hodgins - 91
TE Todd Heap - 91
WR 1 Randy Moss - 98
WR 2 Bethel Johnson - 71
WR 3 David Patten - 78

LT Luke Petitgout - 90
LG Edwin Mulitalo - 90
C Olin Kreutz - 96
RG Mo Collins - 85
RT Mike Williams - 88

LE Chris Kelsay - 68
DT Cornelius Griffin - 86
DT Willie Blade - 83
RE Tyler Brayton - 75
LOLB Terrell Suggs - 80
MLB Brian Urlacher - 98
ROLB Jeff Ulbrich - 84

CB 1 Terence Newman - 86
CB 2 Charles Tillman - 72
CB 3 Nnamdi Asomugha - 70
CB 4 David Macklin - 74
FS Roy Williams - 95
SS Ed Reed - 92

K David Akers - 98
P Bill LaFleur - 73
cowboys3204

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame Green, he's not a big play threat. Heck, he can barely run at all. Wait for the draft, Trade up a couple of picks, then draft a good running back. Step up with your 2 and 3 recievers. Sign a better QB, along with your punter. On the other hand, your D is fine. Maybe it's your line. Just a thought.
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised that you think my D is fine. The Defensive Linemen don't look convincing to me. Especially the LE and RE.
The O-Line has a very nice average OVR, so surely they can't be blamed for anything. As you say I probably need to improve the HB, WR and QB positions.

I've finished the first season and at the moment I'm about to play the first pre-season games of the second season.

I got Anquan Boldin in a trade, his OVR is now 90, and Bethel Johnson has improved to an 80 OVR rating so with Randy Moss (99 OVR) I think I've got three good receivers this year.
Brooks has improved greatly and is now 94 OVR so he ought to do well.
Green however is still not a great star with 89 OVR, but he is young so I don't really want to trade him.

What is the best choice now? Should I play mainly with 3WR, TE and HB or should I continue with 2 WR, TE, FB and HB?
pimpdaddypat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use your fullback mostly if you want to run the ball some b/c you will need your fullback to block if your halfback isnt a big play-maker and then you can also mix some 3WR 1TE 1HB sets in there also ... mainly just mix it up ... dont rely on one ... keep the defense guessing
cowboys3204

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the 3WR TE HB, because you have a good WR corps. Green at OVR of 89 should help, but there still are better choices. Keep Brooks now his OVR is at 94, but who do you have at backup? I suggest you try to aqquire David Garrard as a Backup QB. But mix it up a bit, throw the defense into a tailspin. I definetly overlooked yor D ends,. Replace immediatly. Good secondary, and Good LB's. Blitz a lot and you should be fine.
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfway into the second season.

Running as always is pathetic, we're dead last in rushing yards again. All opponents also have great problems getting a rushing game going against my team. Same as first season in other words.

QB Brooks (OVR 94) got injured a few games into the season and was/is out for 10 weeks. I've had to depend on Grossman (OVR 75). Even third string QB Wallace (OVR 62) saw some game time when Grossman was out for two quarters with a light injury and panic was lurking around the corner.
Passing has been umm... inconsistent.

I found one play that worked like a charm in a couple of games before Brooks got injured. It's "WR Clearout" in the Singleback Empty 4WR formation.
In that play the "outer" WR's more or less run straight downfield and the "inner" WR's run first slant inwards then after some 10-15 yards turn 90 degrees and run a slant out. (Remember that I play in Coach mode, so I can't control any players and it's only on Pro difficulty.)

The four WR's with which this play worked so well are:
Moss (OVR 99, Spe 99)
Boldin (OVR 90, Spe 89)
Johnson (OVR 80, Spe 98 )
Hankton (OVR 68, Spe 86)
and QB Brooks (OVR 94, THP 92, TAC 94, AWR 82)
Oh yes, thank heaven for that O-line! (Their OVR's are 92 - 92 - 98 - 86 - 92) Smile

This even worked decently with Grossman as QB until one defense finally countered by starting with the safeties out near the sidelines. Triple coverage of Moss and the incompletes and interceptions started piling up.

On defense I've switched to a 3-4 defense with plenty of blitzing and it's working better than last season. Still using those mediocre Defensive Ends though - (Kelsay (OVR 74) and Brayton (OVR 79). It helped that I found out that some of the defensive set-ups didn't use Urlacher (OVR 97) when they could have. Shocked
I changed that.

I'll check out who this David Garrard is.

What can I possibly trade to get better LE, RE and HB? I traded draft picks to get Anquan Boldin last season. Can I keep trading my top draft picks for one good player each year? Shouldn't I try and get a top rookie soon or is that pointless when you always get to pick late?
cowboys3204

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, you need a much better back-up QB then you have. Garrard isn't as good on the game as he is in real life. Look at Billy Volek (TEN) and consider bringing him in. He just might be the best back-up in the NFL. What happened when you played Seneca Wallace (I'm right in assuming you are talking about Seneca Wallace, right?) If you still have a second round pick, you can get some quality lineman. Trade a bit, get a few picks and that should improve. As for Green, do whatever you can to get rid of him. Seriously, Green can't run. Other than that, you're team is looking good.

PS... David Garrard plays for Jacksonville, unless you went with a fantasy draft. Who knows, his stats might be better then I think they. It's worth a shot.
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboys3204 wrote:
Trust me, you need a much better back-up QB then you have. Garrard isn't as good on the game as he is in real life. Look at Billy Volek (TEN) and consider bringing him in. He just might be the best back-up in the NFL.
PS... David Garrard plays for Jacksonville, unless you went with a fantasy draft. Who knows, his stats might be better then I think they. It's worth a shot.

I used the Fantasy Draft.
Billy Volek's OVR is down at 52 now - not having played a single game in two seasons - so at this point he doesn't seem like a good back-up anymore.

cowboys3204 wrote:
What happened when you played Seneca Wallace (I'm right in assuming you are talking about Seneca Wallace, right?)

He threw for something like 2/9, but as luck would have it one of those two completions was a TD. He only played for two quarters.

Brooks, playing only seven games before the play-offs, scored 2,234 yards, 22 TD's and 11 interceptions. Quite good for seven games, isn't it?
Grossman, who played the other nine pre play-off games, got 2,128 yards, 18 TD's and 14 interceptions.

cowboys3204 wrote:
If you still have a second round pick, you can get some quality lineman. Trade a bit, get a few picks and that should improve.

My game is at the Rookie scouting stage after season 2 so I've stopped to figure out what changes to make.

This is my defensive line:
LE: OVR 78, 25 year old (Kelsay)
RE: OVR 81, 25 year old (Brayton)
DT: OVR 89, 26 year old (Blade)
DT: OVR 83, 24 year old (Sullivan)

Here are the linebackers:
LOLB: OVR 87, 23 year old (Suggs)
ROLB: OVR 86, 28 year old (Ulbrich)
MLB: OVR 97, 26 year old (Urlacher)
MLB: OVR 75, 26 year old (Moreno)

The CB's and safeties:
CB: OVR 92, 26 year old (Newman)
CB: OVR 84, 24 year old (Tillman)
CB: OVR 80, 24 year old (Asomugha)
CB: OVR 75, 27 year old (Macklin)
CB: OVR 62, 26 year old (Adams)

FS: OVR 97, 25 year old (Williams)
SS: OVR 95, 26 year old (Reed)

The LE and RE looks like the weak spots, but I'm loathe to replace them since they're so young and have improved so much, +10 and +6 respectively, over these two seasons.

Even so I guess it comes down to replacing either one of the defensive ends or my HB Green. Or maybe, just maybe, trade Brooks for a young and promising QB since Brooks is 29 years old now and his Injury rating took a 10 point dive apparently due to the injuries he suffered this season.

cowboys3204 wrote:
As for Green, do whatever you can to get rid of him. Seriously, Green can't run. Other than that, you're team is looking good.

Towards the end of the second season he began showing some moves I had not seen him do before. In the first season whenever Green was tackled he was also stopped, but as the second season progressed he started to do spins, hurdles or just shaking off the tackler. He even had two 100+ yard running games, which is incredible with my bad running record. The "breakthrough" - if that is what it was - came too late in the season for his OVR to improve. (Green totalled 622 yards, 13 TD's and 11 fumbles.)

OTOH Green also went on a "fumbling streak" in a couple of games upon which I felt compelled to sub him with Domanick Davis (OVR 80). Davis ran for 195 yards on 16 carries and scored 3 TD's so I was quite happy with him.
cowboys3204

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Green turns it around. Maybe he felt that he might get the boot, so he stepped up. Keep Davis around, because I bet Green will crash and burn next season, like he has.
If he stinks another season, give him the yank.

Earl Grey wrote:
OTOH Green also went on a "fumbling streak" in a couple of games upon which I felt compelled to sub him with Domanick Davis (OVR 80). Davis ran for 195 yards on 16 carries and scored 3 TD's so I was quite happy with him.

As for your DE's, if they can improve some more, keep them. Focus on them during training camp.
As for Brooks, see what happens next season. If his injury ratings drops again, replace him. Try aqquiring someone like David Carr, or maybe a rookie in the next draft. Just a thought. Keep an eye on the line.
PS... How did Garrard end up?
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pre-season of the third season and I traded up at the RE position and now have Andre Carter (OVR 92, age 26) instead of Brayton (OVR 81, age 25) there.
My LE is still Kelsay (OVR 78, age 25), but there was no reasonable trade possible. Good defensive ends are hard to find, at least in my game.

What defensive system would you recommend I use next season, 4-3 or 3-4? Here's the defense after training camp but before the pre-season games:

LE: 78
DT: 92, 83 and 74 (rookie)
RE: 92

LOLB: 88
MLB: 97, 73 (rookie) and 75
ROLB: 86

CB: 92, 84, 80, 75, 62
FS: 97
SS: 95

David Garrard is first back-up QB for the 49ers, behind Chad Pennington (who btw is very injury prone).
Garrard's OVR is 72. He threw 43/82, 516 yards, 3 TD's and 4 Int's last season.

My back-up Grossman has an OVR of 83 now (THA 94, THP 90) and is only 24 years old. I'm considering keeping Brooks (OVR 95) for two more years until he's 31 and then trading him for the hottest young QB there is.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What defensive system would you recommend I use next season, 4-3 or 3-4?

I would go with a 4-3. Your top 3 LBs all look great, but there's quite a dropoff after that. Running a 3-4 would expose this weaker link a lot of the time.

The only exceptions I would say might be is if your 73 LB improves a decent amount, or either LB is actually quite skilled at EITHER blitzing or pass coverage, but not both (hence the mediocre score). Then you could design schemes to cover his weaknesses. However this would be limiting in your gameplanning, so I'd stick with 4-3.
cowboys3204

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with that one. Your D is suited for the 4-3, which allows for a nice secondary.
As for replacing Brooks with the hottest young QB, do it. Brooks can fetch some nice trades if his OVR is at 95. But if you're playing Madden 2005, be a little bit worried with player moral. It wouldn't hurt to jump for Garrard at backup, but keep your eyes open.
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboys3204 wrote:
I'd have to agree with that one. Your D is suited for the 4-3, which allows for a nice secondary.
As for replacing Brooks with the hottest young QB, do it. Brooks can fetch some nice trades if his OVR is at 95. But if you're playing Madden 2005, be a little bit worried with player moral. It wouldn't hurt to jump for Garrard at backup, but keep your eyes open.

Madden 2004.
GBert1414

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you play in coach mode?
Earl Grey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBert1414 wrote:
how do you play in coach mode?

Go to Settings -> Mode, look up Game Play and you can choose Classic, Player or Coach.

In coach mode you can't control the players. You control the play selection, can call audibles and make some defensive adjustments - all before the snap only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> General Strategy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: