Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zen football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirCliveWolfe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Zen football? Reply with quote

I was playing around with some of your plays and formations and I was also watching a tv show about Zen... so I got to thinking instead of telling your recievers what to do, maybe you could just let go and let them do whatever they want... obviously this wouldn't work IRL, but in a game?

So I tried it with your "4 Wide" formation, I just gave all the recievers a custom route and ended it straight away with "get open"...

Now it sounds crazy, but it actually works, they run around and almost always one guys gets open and you can pick him out easily.

Pro's:
One man always (well as much as I've tested it) gets open.
They always run at least 3 or 5 yards before getting open (well as much as I've tested it).

Con's:
You don't know who will get open
You will not neccessarily (but some times do) get long yardage

So what do you guys think? Have any of you tried it?

ps. this was all tested with Madden 2003.
Arkaein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did this once as well, also probably on Madden 2003 or 2004. I was trying to expand my playbook from its heavy West Coast Offense roots to include a Run-n-Shoot feel.

Run-n-Shoot plays don't just let each WR run whenever they want, but they do emphasize multiple option routes. In Madden you can get a single option route into a play by modifying a built-in, but unfortunately there is no way to get multiple WR option routes into one play., so I did just what you did and made each WR get open immediately, possibly after taking one or two steps downfield.

In the end I didn't care for it too much. The WRs almost never run deep, and when they think they're open they stop and turn back to the QB, so it's a lot like running a bunch of little curls and is very hard to generate YAC.

If I was going to try this again, I would build plays with just one get open quick route on each side of the field, always paired with a specific deeper route. That way the routes would get less cluttered, there would be deep options, the deep routes could draw coverage from the option routes, and it would be possibly to make multiple plays in a single formation.
SirCliveWolfe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkaein wrote:
In the end I didn't care for it too much. The WRs almost never run deep, and when they think they're open they stop and turn back to the QB, so it's a lot like running a bunch of little curls and is very hard to generate YAC.

Yeah not much YAC... but does that matter if your getting 5 or 7 yards every time you try it? (in Madden '03 anyways)

Arkaein wrote:
If I was going to try this again, I would build plays with just one get open quick route on each side of the field, always paired with a specific deeper route. That way the routes would get less cluttered, there would be deep options, the deep routes could draw coverage from the option routes, and it would be possibly to make multiple plays in a single formation.

I thought about this and your correct, however it is good to have one play with no asigned routes... I use audiables to get two men deep, or cross or whatever, but doing it this way means you can mix it up a bit.... also if you have you singleback with one, you can moton him to either side or get him to block... Very Happy
All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to get the QB and the WR on the same page doing that. For example you go to throw thinking the WR is going to keep running to what looks like open area to you, and all of a sudden the cuts into the middle of the field as your throwing ending in a pick.

Doesn't work that well IMO, they end up running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 4 wide Formation and if you look at the Deep Crosses play think about it very carefully you got

LEFT SPLIT END

LEFT FLANKER

RIGHT FLANKER

RIGHT SPLIT END

That's 4 open men so you going to call that out as a speed killer because I've used this with both the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers and came up with afew other plays using the speed of some of these players.

Add 2 RB's 1 spot off where most people would have the Holes formation, now you're thinking of running this nope we're going for EL TURO

LHB GO 20 YARDS
RHB GO 20 YARDS
O LINE PASS BLOCK
RSE FAR SIDE USE PASS BLOCK
LF CORNER 15 YARDS
RF CORNER 15 YARDS

when you make this play up it's going to look cheesey as anything because it will look like a pre school kid drawled a bull but buy the the other guy is laughing you done scored 6 points!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Monstrous Madden Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: