Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums
Discussion of Madden NFL Strategy, Formations and Plays

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A variation of the "46-Bear"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Guest Playbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great_Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: A variation of the "46-Bear" Reply with quote

When I first saw the "46-Bear" defensive formation, at first, I couldn't see how it couldn't be effective in any way. So I researched it, and found out that it's pretty good in terms of creating pressure.
So then I tried utilizing it in games. Well, lets just say that I didn't have too much success with it. Some of the problems that I faced were:

-that it didn't generate the pressure that I hope it would've.
-that it was very vulnerable to running plays, specifically running plays right up the middle.
-that if the QB was given time, he would often get big completions (with the WR's having all that room to work with).

So then I tried creating my own variation of this defense. Here it is:

Code:
................F.................
C..............R.M...............C
.......S...E.T.....T.E...L........
W...........O.O.O.O.O.T...........
................Q................W
................F.................
................H.................

Now, the whole idea here is to isolate the center when pass-rushing. Now, if you were to blitz the LOLB left, and the SS right, they're gonna get at the QB very fast. Unless of course if the offense uses two extra pass-blockers. That's when you can start having the SS and the LOLB playing different zones instead of blitzing, for e.g., having them play the flats so they can be there if the offense has the WR's running short curl routes in anticipation of the blitz. The best thing about utilizing this stragedy is that the offense can't make a pre-snap read to see if the LOLB and the SS are blitzing, or playing zone.
Other small adjustments that I've made with this variation of the 46-Bear are:

-I have the corners starting a little back, just to minimize the chance of getting burned with a deep pass.
-I have the SS on the weak side instead of the strong side, so I can have the LOLB there to stop strongside runs more effectively. Plus, the SS adds a little more speed to the pass-rush on the weakside, generally where you want most of your pass-rush to come from.
-I have the two other LBs playing the two gaps between the tackles. Believe it or not, if they maintain those gap assignments, it can very effectively stuff the run inside.

So, what do you guys think?
Chimera

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: 46 bear Reply with quote

i love it, but i can't get it to work. the outside blitzes get shut down by the backs almost every time. also, i have to use DT's to control the LOS because the DE's get pancaked too easily. is there any way to assign a gap blitz? i can only assign blitzers left right or middle. . .
Great_Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the offense uses two extra backs to pass-block against the outside blitz, the blitz will indeed be nullified. But this is why you want to mix things up, so that when the offense goes into a Max Protect type of passing play (two extra players pass-blocking), you can send those two outside players back in coverage, thus having 7 players in coverage against 3 recievers.

As far as it's capability against the run however, well, it's not all that great. Generally, you want to use this formation when the offense decides to pass the ball. But I guess if you had two good run-stopping ends, you could run this more often, especially when you blitz the LOLB and SS, because the defensive ends' pass-rush does not require speed and agility, and is moreso intended to occupy the offensive tackles, rather than to put pressure on the QB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Monstrous Madden Playbook Forums Forum Index -> Guest Playbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: